Another question regarding backups

On Jul 7, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> I've been using rsnapshot for my backups lately, and the target is my
> 160BG SATA drive set up as a single LVM volume (1 physical, 1
> logical).
> While I may possibly move the backups to my USB drive in the future, I
> was thinking that LVM may not be a wise choice if I lose my primary
> drive. Would I be better off to simply use a physical partition
> formatted to ext4 rather than LVM in the case I lose my 1TB drive.

Probably, since in a single-drive, using-all-of-it setup, LVM really
doesn't buy you anything at all, it only adds complexity.

> BTW: If I were to experience a total drive failure, I would most
> likely
> install the OS onto a new drive and restore, so that the backup
> would be
> accessible. My concern would be accessing the backup data from a
> LiveCD.

Should be perfectly accessible. Might require manually running some
lvm commands and mounting by hand, not sure about that. The only real
gotcha is that if the volume was formatted with LVM and a VG and/or LV
with the same name as another disk in the system, things can go haywire.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org