in search of cheap broadband; phone, TV optional

I think you found the trick to a telco's success.  The never ending charge.

Find your local state regulatory agency and find out what the tarrifs you
can
request from the telco are.  Sometimes they 'can' sell you a service, but
they
don't want to.

If you have a monitored alarm system in your home, you might talk to the
provider if they have an 'alarm loop' to your house.  An 'alarm loop' is a
specially provisioned phone line that does go through the telco.  If it is a
mom&pop type alarm company they might be nice and let you know
how to get the right circuits. ... If there are third party ISPs in your
area
that provide DSL, they might be able to do DSL cheaper because they
get a special tarrif on provisioning phone lines.

Just some thoughts.

IHS ... Jack