Suggestion for PHP Framework or CMS system

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 13:30 -0400, Matt Shields wrote:

> I'm looking for a suggestion for a project that I have coming up. I have a
> long term client that I've redesigned his site 3 times since 1995, and this
> time I would like to go away from static HTML and move to a backend system
> that will let me easily manage static content (header/footer, static pages)
> but also let me create dynamic DB driven content such as product databases,
> other dynamic content, employee or customer only areas, etc.

I've worked with a fair number of CMS products, including some that were
"roll-your-own" by me :)
The biggest decider for me has always been this : 'Who is going to be
contributing most of the content?"
I have always like the idea of making it so easy for a website owner to
add content that they get into it and keep the site current and active
from a passionate position, rather than calling me up and having me do
it from a cost-benefit position. If the site-owner is interested in
adding text content themselves, then you should look to the CMS systems
that have the lowest barrier of entry for adding content, such as
wordpress etc...
However, if the site-owner has no interest in maintaining their own
site, then the best CMS is one that makes _your_ job easier, and that
usually entails integrating DB,s making webservice calls, creating
report tables etc, things that go beyond simple use.
It is this second case that has caused me in the past to roll my own.
However, unless you have some really strange requirements (e.g. deliver
the entire page in less than half a second) roll-your-own wont be the
way to go.

A good place to start is here :

http://www.phpframeworks.com/

which shows you the pros and cons of each system, but it will be more
helpful if you know the answer to the posed question above...

just my $0.02

Richard