Need Linux driver for Agere "HDA" winmodem (9 month old HP laptop)

The other day, tried to scan and fax.  Ubuntu doesn't have a driver for
my HP dv4-1222nr built-in modem.

Vistah does not include fax software, nor could I find a driver for my
Microtek Scanmaker 3840.  Plus I haven't been able to get Vista to read
ext-3.  Finally installed trial fax software on Vista, and found out
that the recipient's telephone lines were out of order!  Sent it by
email to someone who will sneakernet it to the destination.

I googled but couldn't find the modem driver.  lspci shows these two
audio devices.  Probably one of these does double-duty as the modem:
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller

Here is the string from the Vista windows properties:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_103C137E&REV_1002