any suggestion for web server load balancing appliances

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Dave Peters <gameslover987-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> All,
>
> We have 5 linux web servers and hosting 900 site and looking for load
> balancing appliances.
>
> Any suggestion? Has anyone using Radware AppDirector?
>

> Thank you.
>
> Dave

I currently use the Foundry(Brocade) ServerIron's and love them.  But in the
past I've used Linux Virtual Server (heartbeat,ldirectord,ipvsadm) and it
worked pretty good.  But with our ServerIron's we can offload all SSL
traffic on the load balancer and free up CPU by not having to handle
encryption/decryption.

I've also used the RedLine Networks, they were okay, and Cisco Directors
they were a beast.  When they worked, they worked great, but when you had an
issue, it usually meant a call to Cisco.  I've heard good things about Pound
(mentioned by someone else), but I've also heard from a lot of people who
are using Nginx (webserver) as a load balancer and it works pretty good for
them.

-matt
http://www.sysadminvalley.com
http://www.beantownhost.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboston
Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>
- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never
wrong."