(Off topic) Need Linux Admin/IT Ops Engineer

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:30:40PM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> Sounds like they want a normal sys-admin/programmer, not a junior one.
> That's a list of things I'd be expecting to get training on in such a
> position, not already have it.

I always figured the junior/senior designation reflected how much your butt
would be on the frying pan when things went seriously pear shaped.

With that in mind, I think there are multiple ways to read the job
description based on if the buck stops with you or if there's someone you
can escalate to when you can't put the pieces back together.

Here's an example:
==

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am a perfect fit for your Junior Linux Admin position.  I have enumerated
my skills below in list form.

> * At least 2 years of experience with Linux system administration
> (Debian/Ubuntu experience is a plus).

I've been using Ubuntu on my home desktop since Dapper!

> * Must be able to use Linux command line tools for administration.

'aptitude update' is awesome!

> * Good network, system and application troubleshooting skills.

'aptitude reinstall' is awesome!

> * Some experience with SQL (MySQL), shell scripting, perl, python.

I set up my own Wordpress blog!  How's this: "UPDATE user SET
Password=PASSWORD('bl0gg3r5uck5') WHERE user='admin';

> * Experience with web servers, preferably with Apache HTTP Server and
> Tomcat.

I had to turn on mod_php to get Wordpress to work!

> * Some experience with performance tuning and optimization.

I ran bonnie++ when I set up the machine!  It's fast!

> * Experience with 24x7 environment.

I worked at Store 24 while getting my English degree!

> * Understanding of SLAs

SLAs are what the sales guys offer and the ops guys are responsible for
delivering!

> * BS/BA in IT or related field

I read Chaucer in Middle English... it's like PERL but harder!

> * Virtual servers/Amazon Web Services experience a plus

VirtualBox is cool!  I use it to play Master of Orion on my Ubuntu desktop!

In conclusion, please hire me; there's no job market for English majors
right now.  Chaucer has been dead for 600 years!

==

-ben

--
internap are like the carnies of datacenter hosting providers. you can't
trust them but things are fun when they are in town.               <hop>