Any trick to waking up FireFox?

Every now and then, Firefox locks up on me.  It turns grey (the whole
compiz effect for apps that aren't responding).  Sometimes it lasts a
few seconds, sometimes it just stays that way.

Like now.

I even tried suspending the laptop and waking it up again.  Normally
it's not a problel, but I edit pages on wikis a lot, and that means lost
work.

Like now.

I'm guessing the answer is there's nothing I can do, but it's damn
frustrating.  I love the concept of Firefox, and I don't know of another
browser that meets my criteria (tabbed interface, will automatically
switch to new tabs, something like AdBlock, something like ImageZoom,
something like WebDeveloper, and Flash support), but I've pretty
disappointed that after all this time, Firefox still leaks memory like a
sieve and will frequently take 80% or more of a CPU even when I'm not
doing anything with it.

What Firefox needs is it's own "top" interface to its threads so you can
see what the hell it's doing and kill threads that are running out of
control.  OTOH, Firefox doesn't use separate threads to the extent it
should, which is part of the problem.  If only one could meld the
infrastructure of Chrome with the capabilities of Firefox....

Sorry if this turned into a bitchfest, but I'm *frustrated*.  I guess I
should do my wiki editing in Chrome, which doesn't meet my criteria for
my primary browser, but I use for heavy JavaScript stuff for just this
reason.