Any trick to waking up FireFox?

Robert Krawitz wrote:
>    Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:05:17 -0400
>    From: David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org>
>
>    What Firefox needs is it's own "top" interface to its threads so you can
>    see what the hell it's doing and kill threads that are running out of
>    control.  OTOH, Firefox doesn't use separate threads to the extent it
>    should, which is part of the problem.  If only one could meld the
>    infrastructure of Chrome with the capabilities of Firefox....
>
> You might try the XUL Profiler extension.  It's a fairly
> coarse-grained profiler, but it may help you find some JavaScript
> somewhere that's consuming a lot of time.
>
> I've found that certain sites that I wouldn't otherwise expect wind up
> being real pigs -- even though I like the sites, I disable JavaScript
> except when I actually need it.  It also helps pinpoint add-ons that
> are doing too much.

I'll check out XUL profiler extension.  My current pain is that it's
locked up and NOT using the CPU.  It's just "pining for the fjords".

On a lark, I fired up Synaptic, and I see that Ubuntu offers 3.5, though
it never offered to upgrade my 3.0, which pisses me off.  They're
treated as different programs.  So I installed that and am trying it out
now.

> Have you tried using your editor of choice (emacs for me) with the
> "It's all text" plugin for firefox?

> I have this reflexive ctrl-w-to-erase-word-backwards habit that works great
> everywhere except firefox, where it has this annoying tendency to kill my
> ticket update, wiki edits, email, etc.
>
> After the umpteenth time this happened, I installed Textarea Cache:

I ended up installing Lazarus: Form Recovery
because it stores data for all forms., not just textareas.

Thanks, all.