when is a PDF not a PDF?

Based on postings to this group, I purchased
the Brother HL-4070CDW Color Laser Printer,
which allows printing of PDF files from a USB stick.

Sometimes, the 4070 will choke and sometimes die on some PDF files
(well, I need to press the appropriate printer buttons
to get things working again).
Up until I "upgraded" to OpenOffice 3.0.1, this problem
was rather infrequent, but some some reason on the 4070
the PDF files produced by OO 3.0.1 often look like chapters
from the Swedish Chef's Cookbook (the Unexpurgated Edition ;)

Oddly enough, if I tell OpenOffice to print the file
directly ot the 4070, it comes out fine.  Unfortunately,
there are circumstances where I would really like to save
the document as a PDF and print the PDF later on.

I have been unable to find anything on the web
concerning my misprintings.

Does anyone have recommendation on how I can get
the PDFs printing prettily again?

Thanks,
--
R. Luoma