[OT] FY: Comcast/Clear QAM/MythTV/Other shoe drops

SUMMARY: Comcast Expanded Basic channels will not be available in
either Analog or ClearQAM format after 11/18/2009.  All MythTV setups
will require some kind of Comcast equipment in order to record
anything other then rebroadcast over the air and cable access
channels.  This applies to Cambridge 02140, but I'm betting it will be
happening anywhere in Massachusetts that Comcast has the equipment in
place to do it.

So I got another postal mailing from Comcast about the upcoming plan
to switch Expanded Basic channels to a digital only signal.   The
mailing goes on at length about how if I don't have a full settop box,
CableCard, or one of their new DTAs, I won't be able to watch some
Expanded Basic channels starting 10/20/2009 with all channels
switching by 11/18/2009.  As usual, they don't mention the magic words
"QAM" or "Clear QAM" either way.  I call up customer service and their
overseas representative, tells me I don't have to worry.  This does
not reassure me.  They will disavow something said by some low paid
worker overseas.  I go onto their web site and eventually find the
following URL:

http://www.comcast.com/DIGITALNOW/FAQs.aspx?map=all_faq_map

Number 32 on the list is the following:

>32. Will I need equipment if I have a digital TV with a QAM tuner?
>
>At the completion of the digital upgrade, customers will need equipment on all TVs to receive any channels above the Limited Basic level of service?of course, >this is now the case with most video providers, including our satellite and phone competitors. We?re encouraging all customers to avoid any service interruptions >by installing and using the equipment provided by Comcast or purchased from their electronics retailer, like a TiVo or CableCardTM enabled device.

This URL tells me that Comcast has been given a waiver from the FCC to
do some kind of encryption (5C????) rather then CableCard on their
PACE DTA:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=180850&site=cdn

I interpret all of this to mean that not only is Comcast shutting down
NTSC signals for Expanded Basic channels, but that they will not be
sent in clear QAM either. My investments in HD Homerun tuners will be
much less useful as a result.  Since 90% of my family's TV watching is
MythTV recordings off of Expanded Basic, this is a pain.   My PVR-150s
can probably continue to be used with the Comcast supplied DTAs, but
IR blasting is not known for its reliability.  I suppose I might
investigate firewire as well, but that will require renting Comcast
settop boxes.

Bill Bogstad