[OT] FY: Comcast/Clear QAM/MythTV/Other shoe drops

I too got a letter from Comcast stating that March, 2010 is the cutoff
date for Newton/Needham. Since I don't do MythTV, the only thing that
interests me is support for the 2 analog TVs I have. In this case, the 2
free DTAs work fine especially since the buttons on one of the analog
tvs are falling out. One thing I did check out is that very few TVs do
support CableCard. I was looking for a low cost 15" to 19" to replace
the 20+ year old analog TV.

On 09/22/2009 11:23 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> SUMMARY: Comcast Expanded Basic channels will not be available in
> either Analog or ClearQAM format after 11/18/2009.  All MythTV setups
> will require some kind of Comcast equipment in order to record
> anything other then rebroadcast over the air and cable access
> channels.  This applies to Cambridge 02140, but I'm betting it will be
> happening anywhere in Massachusetts that Comcast has the equipment in
> place to do it.
>
> So I got another postal mailing from Comcast about the upcoming plan
> to switch Expanded Basic channels to a digital only signal.   The
> mailing goes on at length about how if I don't have a full settop box,
> CableCard, or one of their new DTAs, I won't be able to watch some
> Expanded Basic channels starting 10/20/2009 with all channels
> switching by 11/18/2009.  As usual, they don't mention the magic words
> "QAM" or "Clear QAM" either way.  I call up customer service and their
> overseas representative, tells me I don't have to worry.  This does
> not reassure me.  They will disavow something said by some low paid
> worker overseas.  I go onto their web site and eventually find the
> following URL:
>
> http://www.comcast.com/DIGITALNOW/FAQs.aspx?map=3Dall_faq_map
>
> Number 32 on the list is the following:
>
>  =20
>> 32. Will I need equipment if I have a digital TV with a QAM tuner?
>>
>> At the completion of the digital upgrade, customers will need equipmen=
t on all TVs to receive any channels above the Limited Basic level of ser=
vice=97of course, >this is now the case with most video providers, includ=
ing our satellite and phone competitors. We=92re encouraging all customer=
s to avoid any service interruptions >by installing and using the equipme=
nt provided by Comcast or purchased from their electronics retailer, like=
 a TiVo or CableCardTM enabled device.
>>    =20
> This URL tells me that Comcast has been given a waiver from the FCC to
> do some kind of encryption (5C????) rather then CableCard on their
> PACE DTA:
>
> http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=3D180850&site=3Dcdn
>
> I interpret all of this to mean that not only is Comcast shutting down
> NTSC signals for Expanded Basic channels, but that they will not be
> sent in clear QAM either. My investments in HD Homerun tuners will be
> much less useful as a result.  Since 90% of my family's TV watching is
> MythTV recordings off of Expanded Basic, this is a pain.   My PVR-150s
> can probably continue to be used with the Comcast supplied DTAs, but
> IR blasting is not known for its reliability.  I suppose I might
> investigate firewire as well, but that will require renting Comcast
> settop boxes.
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix