kvm frustration...

Hi blu...

Well... I've answered my own question and I'll pass it on to whom ever
uses libvirt and the whole qemu/kvm viruatlization system linux is now
providing...

qemu-kvm has a well defined command line switch to turn on a better
graphics adapter, this is done by specifying the "-vga std" command line
option. There is a rather complex interface between all the libvirt
software layer, which includes the nice GUI interfaces to control the
action of virtual guests and the final execution of the qemu-kvm
command. Part of the complexity deals with having to set up the
networking interface. In any case, as it turns out, the configuration of
each virtual guest system is specified in an xml formatted file stored
in /etc/libvirt/qemu. Further more, the latest libvirt documentation on
the web (libvirt.org) specifies an xml video tag which should allow one
to specify which type of video adapter the virtual system will have. The
problem is that libvirt, the one which comes with fedora 11, does not
recognize the video tag, so your left with the default video controller
of qemu-kvm which is rather limited.

So... the hack which I put together was the following.

cd /usr/bin
mv qemu-kvm qemu-kvm-orig
echo '#/bin/bash' > qemu-kvm
echo '/usr/bin/qemu-kvm-orig $* -vga std'
chmod +x qemu-kvm

And now I've basically hard-coded the vga controller type. Now I can use
virt-manager to control the state of my virtual guests and get the
better graphics controller.

According to some mailing lists that I ran across while googling all
over the internet trying to find a fix, the <video> tag will be
available in the next release of libvirt.

Cheers. Steve.