Open Source Project, anyone interested?

Tom Metro wrote:
> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> At my day job, I had to find an embedded web server.  Maybe I didn't
>> look all that hard, but I couldn't find any that I thought were
>> really good.
>>    It should be small! very small! Not another apache sort of thing.
>
> There must be a dozen Apache alternatives, many focused on resource
> constrained environments. And just about every Linux-based gizmo has
> an embedded web server, so there must be at least a few options
> suitable for embedded use.
>
> You may be right that the existing choices have deficiencies, but if
> you want to recruit other participants to the project you might want
> to start out by listing those alternatives and saying how they fall
> short of your criteria.
I'm pretty sure if other people were in a similar circumstance, they
would have their own list equally long as mine. If they didn't, I
suspect they would not be interested in the first place.

>> ...we could use C, but it should use some object based system.
>
> With the increasing CPU power of embedded systems, it is becoming more
> common to use higher level languages for stuff like this, such as
> Perl, Python, and Ruby. For example, the Western Digital NAS discussed
> at a BLU talk and on the list recently uses Perl, and has a hardware JVM.

That's the problem.....
All the "higher level" environments don't fit the "small" requirements.
Everyone is focusing on higher level languages leaving small footprint
development needing.

Making a bare bones minimalist web server library that could compile on
many small environments with low RAM requirements would be useful. Al
least I have needed such a library in the past.