Bare Metal vs virtualization

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> I know this list is generally Linux-only, but I figured I'd try to
> gain wisdom from those with hard-core Windows needs, too.
>
> I was recently pricing out a high-end desktop system for a user who
> will doing a lot of CAD, Matlab, SolidWorks, and other apps that will
> utilize a lot of number crunching and video.
>
> The quote for the desktop (64-bit Vista is likely), which included 12
> GB RAM, two 1 TB SATA hard drives, a high-end NVidia 3D video card,
> and two Intel quad-core 3.3 Ghz processors, was about $15k.

By modern standards that is a pretty expensive desktop.   The problem
is that Windows really isn't
designed for remote graphics display.   One option that you didn't
mention is the possibility of
using IP based remote KVM technology to share access to the machine.
Not a true multi-user environment, but perhaps better then putting the
machine on a single user's desk.   It depends on what graphics display
resolution you need and the true refresh rates that are required....

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad