New top-level domains coming

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Bill Horne <bill-6yPSQP5VWP/P/9WndSeKLsJ8OCA1ciLf at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has
> announced more progress toward the issuance of Generic Top-Level Domain
> name (gTLD) domains. These new top-level domains will give applicants
> the chance to have a corporate trademark or community name as the _last_
> item in an Internet address: for example, instead of sears.com or
> fsf.org, the new gTLD program would allow addresses such as sales.sears
> or emacs.fsf.
>
> Details are at
> http://www.icann.com/en/announcements/announcement-04oct09-en.htm .
>
> My question: what will I have to update to accomodate this change?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> E. William Horne
> William Warren Consulting
> Computer and Network Installations, Security, & Maintenance
> http://www.william-warren.com/
>
> "These times are famine for the soul
>  While for the senses it's a feast"
>                  Jackson Browne

Speaking as someone who hosts over 3 million domains on my networks.  As far
as backbone architecture for domain services, they are constantly improving
the root servers and expanding capacity.  From a domain speculators point of
view, I think this will have only a positive effect on the value of .com,
.net and .org domains.  .com's will always be the domain that everyone wants
(second .net, third .org), adding more TLDs will only make .com's worth more
as the available possible combination of words get smaller and smaller.
We've seen the same trend over the years as they have added other TLDs such
as .biz, .mobi, .info, .us, .ws, etc.  People though that the prices of
existing .com's would drop, but we've only seen their prices go higher than
expected.

For the new TLDs, if it's the same proposal that they have been talking
about for a few years, if you wanted to have your own TLD (.horne for
example), there are a lot of hoops you need to jump through.  First there is
a large application fee, second you need to prove you have the stable
infrastructure to support maintaining registrations (not just stable, but
secure as well).  Third, you need to provide documentation of your
businesses financial records proving that you are a stable company, and you
need a business plan for your TLD to prove that you can sell the new TLD.
After all, ICANN stands to make money from every domain you sell.

If you are interested in domains, there are numerous forums and trade shows
related to that whole industry.

For discussions check out www.discussnames.com

For tradeshows check out www.targetedtraffic.com

For buying/selling domains check out www.afternic.com (think ebay for
domains), or BuyDomains.com

For monetizing traffic on domains check out www.activeaudience.com (aka
domain parking)

DiscussNames.com, Afternic, BuyDomains and ActiveAudience are owned by
NameMedia based in Waltham, MA who have been dealing in the domain market
since the late 90's and they have considerable experience when it comes to
buying, selling and monetizing domains.

-matt
http://www.sysadminvalley.com
http://www.beantownhost.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboston
Ted Turner <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html>  -
"Sports is like a war without the killing."