New Laptop

I just bought my first new laptop my previous was used and I installed
my own copy of windows 2000 and dual booted with Fedora. The new one is
a Lenovo t400 base model with DVD rw and bluetooth. It doesn't have
video switching. It does have Lenovo's flavor of Vista business
installed. I am now in the process of shrinking the windows partition so
I can install Fedora. I found it very frustrating trying to prepare the
windows partition so that it would be defragged and compact. When I
removed software the actual disk usage went up. When I made the system
restore disks the disk usage went up. I suspect this is mostly due to
Lenovo's default setup.
I find the user management the most difficult due to the fact that the
administrator user is now the first user and there are still
administrative functions that are limited to the user/administrator.
Is there a way to turn the full user management facilities back on? This
may be moot in a few hours but I would like to know if others have dealt
with this successfully.

Jim KR