Darl McBride fired from SCO

The chapter 11 trustee, Edward Cahn and his advisors, eliminated the
post of CEO and President, and in the process terminated McBride.
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=3D20091019120137787

This does not end the SCO saga and its threat on Linux. The Novel and
IBM lawsuits are not yet fully adjudicated, and until at least the Novel
case is completed on appeal, things are still up in the air. First, the
courts need to determine who, in fact, owns the Unix copyrights. This is
still in the appeals court, and could go back down to a jury trial. The
nasty part of this is that someone could buy much of what is left of SCO
and continue these cases. I don't see Cahn ending the Novel case because
the copyright ownership issue has a direct bearing on the asset value.
The other cases, such as IBM and Autozone, don't have as much a bearing
on the copyright issue per se, but I don't see Cahn or anyone else
stopping those cases until the Novel case is fully adjudicated. If Novel
owns thw copyrights, as they claim, this knocks virtually all the pegs
out of the IBM case. If SCO were to win the Novel case, they could pose
a significant threat to Linux if they were to continue to pursue the IBM
case. Even is SCO goes to Chapter 7, the copyrights have a significant
value. and there are some companies who might find it worth their while
to continue this.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846