asus eee pc 1005ha

I know its possible to disable the touchpad, I believe you can do it though the X config.  I also suspect some one has figured out how to get the toggle button to work.  I'd try a search for synaptic touchpad 1005ha, on the ubuntu forums or something similar in google.

------Original Message------
From: dan moylan
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: BLU
Subject: re: asus eee pc 1005ha
Sent: Oct 19, 2009 3:18 PM

jerry writes:
> Nearly every computer has the capability to plug in an
> external mouse, but usually the built-in is not disabled.

right.  i have an external mouse, which works fine, but
since the built-in is also working, it's continually being
touched (hard to avoid) by my clumsy thumbs while typeing.
on my ibm t41 you can disable the internal in the bios
set-up, which i do, preferring the little red button, but
unfortunately, there is no such provision on the asus.

the asus "manual" does say that the silver button on the
upper left of the keyboard can be used to disable the
touchpad, but that must work only under windows.  i was
hoping someone might have a secret way to get it working
under ubuntu.

> It this a 32-bit or 64-bit system. I don't see why you would
> not be able to transfer large files (at least under 3GB). We
> could possibly look at that in the upcoming installfest.

> Instead of using scp, have you tried using rsync:
> 'rsync -az  source:filename .'
> of 'rsync -az -e ssh source:filename .'
> This would be equivalent to 'scp source:filename .'

> In any case, we need to isolate if the problem is either:
> with scp
> with your home network
> with the the ASUS wireless drivers.

i have four computers running on my home network, all
running ubuntu 9.04.  amongst the other three, scp presents
no problems, presumably exonerating both the home network and
scp, and leading me to suspect that the problem is with the
asus wireless.  i've also recently noticed that the wireless
connection periodically drops out for no good reason, though
ifconfig shows it to be still there.  /etc/init.d/networking
restart always brings it back ok.

thanks for your suggestions.
ole dan

j. daniel moylan