Software as a profession sucks, a rant.

On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> It doesn't actually say that large companies don't innovate.  It
> suggests that they tend to only innovate in ways that are desired by
> their largest customers.  As a secondary effect, since the largest
> customers are often large companies which also

And yet, today, large companies are some of the biggest innovators in
their respective areas.  You just never see most of it because it
doesn't make slashdot's headlines.  At the same time, some of the
smallest companies do nothing but buy patents and extort (or litigate)
royalties for them.  You can't look at the size of a company as a
benchmark for innovation and fun vs. depressing monotony.  To the
contrary, a large company probably has many small operating units.
Some of those may be crushingly monotonous; others dynamic and
innovative and fun and challenging.

> do the same you end up with a decided lack of innovation in large
> companies.   If a company has revenue of $10 milllion dollars a day,
> then it's not worth a senior manager's time to approve a change that
> will save the company $100,000.  And
> the answer will be NO if you can't prove that your change won't
> negatively affect that $10 million a day revenue stream.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the company's size.  That's
senior management.  Like I said the first time.

--Rich P.