ESXi and Xen white box

I'm putting together an esxi and xen white box to play with and do some testing.  And was drawn in by the value of the new athlon II x4 620. $99 for a 2.6 quad-core is hard to beat.  The rest of the system would be running a gigabit 770 board with 8gb of ddr3 1333. But I'm considering two other options and figured I would get some input.

First option is the phenom II x4 925 - $150: upgrade to 2.8ghz and a 6meg L3 cache (same 4x128-L1 & 4x512-L2 as the athlon). Not sure if there is really much else different that would effect my use.

Will the 6megs of L3 make a signifigant difference? And does phenom II ofer any other benefits over athlon II?

Second option is a scavanged core2duo e8500: currently running my main desktop so I'm leaning away from this option.  But if the beast of a dual core could compete with a quad, in a virtualization server I may consider the option.  But also I would be sticking with ddr2 800, rather than dd3 1333, which it self would be a decent preformance hit.

Could a fast dual core and ddr2 compete with a moderate quad and ddr3, at running a dozen vms?

Keep in mind this is not a production system so value over preformance is the goal.  And the cheapes intel quad option, with virt, is the Q8400 at $170. This also being financed through my newegg acount, so there are some availability limits. But if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Jason M Normand
Sent from my BlackBerry? smartphone with SprintSpeed