[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:43:55PM -0400, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> I do know that Comcast has a connection validation step that requires
> you to download a validation app (Windows and Mac only) and run it;
> until you do that you can only connect to Comcast's servers.

In fact, this is not true. Their docs make you believe that, but the way
around this is to call Comcast customer service and ask them to activate your
modem. Takes 5 minutes. Basically all they do is associate the mac address of
the modem to your account, and allow that modem on the network.

I did this for my parents in law (they run Ubuntu) when they moved into a
house that had never had cable installed. I did it while the installer was
still there, which allowed me to verify that everything worked before he
left.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(     "The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of      )-
Virtual hosting -(    danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes,     )-