[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

On 10/26/2009 12:43 PM, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> Not having a copper line has two potential problems: first, there is no
> way to ever get DSL (should you ever want to) if they take all the
> copper out, and a landline connected to FIOS won't work during an
> extended power outage. Traditional POTS service is powered off the phone
> line, and the telco central offices have big banks of batteries and
> emergency generators to keep things going. With FIOS you're dependent on
> the backup battery in the FIOS interface box, which I understand is good
> for about 12 hours.

I inadvertently unplugged my Vz interface box the other day, and the battery
backup only lasted 2, maybe three hours.  They told me it would last 8 hrs if
it weren't in constant use (maybe I was watching tv?).

And you have to agree to replace that battery yourself every couple years.

Matt