[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

This underscores a real issue. Phones are generally covered by state and
local jurisdictions. ISPs are generally not covered by local and state
jurisdictions, and cable TV providers are covered by local jurisdictions.=

While Comcast & RCN physical cables and TV services are covered by the
town, the ISP is not. In more recent years since local phone service may
be regular land line run by the local phone company, or wireless, or ISP
(Comcast, RCN), or VOIP, there is a significant conflict between
jurisdictions. Last year of so there was some bill pending in the state
legislature that was intended to make some changes, but I think that got
shot down. This is why every town has its own telephone CO. It is really
a legal hodge podge that dates back to the days before dial phones when
every call was operator assisted.

On 10/28/2009 02:15 PM, Randy Cole wrote:
> Sadly, the only rate information still published in the Boston area
> phone books are the cost of message units for customers of measured and=

> unlimited service. There ought to be a Law requiring any company
> offering local phone service to publish their all of their rates in a
> clear way on their website.
>
> And a similar law for ISPs. Call it Truth in Internet Service.
>
> Tying should be declared an illegal anti-competitive practice for any
> ISP, phone company, cable, or wireless company that also practices
> market division. Including related companies, that would be all of them=
,
> except maybe RCN since they are small.
>  =20

--=20