Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 Upgrade script extremely inefficient (downloads from the internet, ignores local CD image)

1. Looks like there might be a bug in Ubuntu's script. However, the
Ubuntu CDs do not contain all the bits for most installations, but it
should have at least warned you.

2. Comcast has been criticized for this also. In general, what has been
your experience with RCN. Currently at work our connection is throttled
to 2Mbps shared (and I'm not going into what we pay monthly for rent).
In any case our alternatives are to either get one or more T1s, or RCN.
RCN will save us a few hundred $$ per month with a 20Mbps/2Mbps cable
connection. Currently we do have RCN on our floor and in our computer
room for another client, so installation is no problem.

3. I don't know the model numbers. It looks like MIT upgraded all their
projectors in E-51 (or at least in the rooms we use). I'll play around
with it next meeting and possibly at the installfest (the classroom next
door has an overhead).

On 10/30/2009 08:24 AM, Randy Cole wrote:
> It only took 1 hour to download the CD via bittorrent.  And I told the
> update not to use the network, just the CD.  So the script is ignoring
> it's own flags.  There is no need to download the files again.
>
> RCN seems to throttle torrents and other downloads after a while.  They=

> slow down, then if you reset the cable modem it gets faster.
>
> Do you have the models of the offending MIT projectors?
>
> -r
>

> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> I performed the upgrade to Karmic beta the other day. My network at wo=
rk
>> really sucks (and I am doing something about it, but it takes time). T=
he
>> upgrade took about 12 or so hours, and yesterday I got the bits to
>> upgrade to the production Karmic. So far, not a lot of issues, but I
>> have not really done much. I did reinstall Vbox 3 since Karmic install=
ed
>> OSE. Sound works ok. Next month I'll see if I can get connected to the=

>> overhead projector in 325. I've never had trouble with the MIT
>> projectors until last September, but that is an issue for later.
>>    =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846