Partitioning "Lamp" server

Hello Jerry,
    There is a total of six drives :
        With the raid card I was planning on creating two partitions-

        Raid one for the OS
        Raid five for the data & db

        The why -can be subjective-
        I was under the impression of performance gains and redundancy with RAID 5 on the db partition. may be wrong..

        Please confirm that Mysql can be configured to live on the /dev/sdb1

Thanks,
Stephen

I have no issues with your partitioning scheme, but a few questions. Why
have /dev/sda RAID 1 and /dev/sdb RAID 5? I thought that a single RAID
volume required 2 separate physical volumes volumes.
Secondly, I would probably want to use LVM to give you greater
flexibility so you can resize and move things around.

On 10/31/2009 07:01 AM, Stephen Goldman wrote:
> Hello Blu,
>     Request insight on partitioning a new "LAMP" server with two partitions.
>     Seeking input from others more experienced than me.. thanks,
>     Are there any posted guidelines for best performance. Wish to provide best product
>
>     The device is a brand new Dell server with:
>     /dev/sda    raid one 160 G
>     /dev/sdb    raid five 270G
>
>     32 G physical ram
>     RHEL 5.3
>
>     My plan was to partition /dev/sda as follows:
>
>     /            25  G
>     /            20  G swap
>     / var       25 G
>     /tmp      20  G
>     /home   remainder
>
>     /dev/sdb
>
>     /data    =  270 G
>
>     I am provisioning the machine for others who will configure ,Apache and Mysql
>

>     I suggested they redirect the Apache root folders and Mysql db to run on /dev/sdb.
>     The researcher who is creating the site states he has only worked with both services when configured inside /var.
>     Limited experience.
>
>     I know the Apache can be redirected .. but no sure of how the redirect Mysql   to live on       /dev/sdb --
>
>     Questions:
>     Does the partitioning scheme make sense ..
>     Is there performance gains running the services on the partition /dev/sdb
>     Is it difficult to redirect the services on /dev/sdb ?
>     Is it easier to place /var  on  /dev/sdb  size it to the whole partition?
>
>     /home does not need to be  70 G .. but the space  is there //
>
>     Thanks for you input,

Stephen Goldman
Systems Administrator
Department of Biology