[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 12:05 AM, David Kramer wrote:
>

>> I got Comcast Business class, and have no issues.  I can (and do)
>> contractually run whatever the hell I want, as much as I want.  Static
>> IP address, too.  The only way to make sure you're not blocked is to be
>> contractually allowed to.  You can't complain about blocked ports when
>> your contract says you're not allowed to run servers.
>>

> I wasn't actually complaining about the no-server-rule (this time, though
> that certainly is a pet peeve of mine ;-) ), I was coming at it more from
> the point of view of Comshaft being a leader (THE leader?) in demonstrating
> why the net-neutrality / ISPs-classified-as-common-carrier laws are needed.
>
> And why subject yourself to that?  Maybe they don't do bandwidth shaping on
> the business class.  But it costs twice as much for the same 'bandwidth'.
>
> Are you saying I should buy business class if I want to use bittorrent?
> Comcast has a bit of history there...

The 60 Minutes program ran a feature on the evils of movie piracy
tonight. Leslie Stahl oohed and aaahed as the tall white guy explained
the evils of file sharing on the Internet - via a mysterious and
threatening technology call "Bit Torrent".

I'm amazed they didn't say it was a Red Menace and that we must wipe it
out to preserve our Precious Bodily Fluids.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting