Stupid sysadmin question

Basically, let me be more specific. As I mentioned in my previous post,
Putty works fine for our purposes, and our IT department either in New
York or Toronto provision the laptops. If it were my decision, I would
have Linux on the laptops. The issue is simple:
The user wants to be able to set up an icon on the desktop and use
exceed to connect using one of its protocols. Since we are in a
reasonably secure VPN environment, what would work best is if I were to
enable either an rlogin, rsh, or rexec daemon on one or some of our RHEL
5.2 servers. We set it up once on one of our servers, but I think it was
running RHEL 4 at the time. (It also might be that I didn't install
those daemons when I installed RHEL5.2, but I have not checked the media
yet).

On 11/04/2009 03:15 PM, John Abreau wrote:
> When I provision laptops for my coworkers, I include both PuTTY
> and Mocha X11.
>
>     http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
>     http://www.mochasoft.org/freeware/x11.htm
>
> Mocha X11 runs in the system tray on XP, and provides a rootless
> X11 server, so X clients act like regular Win32 windows. PuTTY
> is an ssh client, and if you enable its X11 settings, it finds and uses=

> the Mocha X11 server transparently.
>
> I haven't checked if it supports fancy features like XDMCP, so maybe
> there are features that Exceed provides that Mocha and PuTTY don't.
>
> But I'd suggest trying Mocha first, before fighting to make Exceed use
> ssh. Last time I tried to get Excheed working with ssh, it was a major
> pain in the posterior. Although that was almost 10 years ago...
>

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  =20
>> Some of my users want to be able to access our servers directly from
>> Exceed. I'm not overly concerned about security since we are locked do=
wn
>> under a VPN. I need Exceed to be able to use ssh, but it looks like th=
>> options are to use either rsh or rexec. Our servers are all using RHEL=
 5.2.
>> I am not concerned about any security issues that would arise.
>> (IMHO - hate exceed but but this is for some coworkers).
>>
>>    =20
>

>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix