Stupid sysadmin question

On 11/05/2009 11:17 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> we had to buy the ssh add-on to eXceed when we decommed rexec / rsh / r=
login.
> not sure if they've bundled it since.
>
> if the user needs Unix based X graphics app to appear on MSWindows
> desktop, eXceed with Ssh upgrade or Cygwin are the usual options. We
> used it for Xemacs and Mozilla to read local-filesystem html help
> files on AIX, and the occasional X-based installer/config program.
>

> This particularly savvy user you mention might appreciate Cygwin, but
> it's not for general population.
>
>  =20
Actually, he is not too savvy. Basicaslly, just setting up putty icons
will work for him if he first runs exceed, which he can do at startup.
I'm sure exceed does not bundle the ssh extension. 2 people in my office
have Exceed 2007. In any case, when he returns from his conference
either today or Monday we'll see if the putty solution works for him. If
it doesn't, I'll look into Mocha or Xming to see which of the two meet
our needs.

On a technical basis, exceed works with rlogin, but with rexec we get a
dialog box "where are you". One of my coworkers encountered that a few
years ago, when we were running RHEL 4, and through some googling she
found the solution. I'd like to look for a solution just to file away,
but I will be removing thr RSH/REXEC/RLOGIN suite from the one server
shortly.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846