I seem to only be able to do consumer electronics

Laura,

Have you tried to play with the basic ALSA settings? I have found that
turning on the various channels one by one will let you figure out what you
need to enable for your SPDIF to work. Use the M key on each channel to
determine which are muted by default. I have done this for both onboard and
PCI audio setups and been successful with both.

Here is the link that will show you how alsamixer and alsactl work:
http://linux.dsplabs.com.au/alsamixer-and-alsactl-store-adjust-and-save-alsa-mixer-settings-p29/

Let me know if this doesn't work.