esata

Guys,

I want to expand the disk capacity of a server which is stuffed with
drives already. So now I'm thinking that I should consider an external
device which holds several sata disks. This is my first exposure to
external sata drives and I want to make sure I'm not doing something
dumb. One thing which I've noticed is that the usual one drive per sata
port does not seem to apply. The external boxen I've found on the net
have a single esata port which drives multiple disks. So, if I buy one
of these external drive enclosurs and install two drives, will linux see
the two drives individually as /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd? Or will I only see
one raided drive. These boxes seem to have raid built into them. Since
I'm currently using software raid on my linux setup, I want to have
access to each individual drive so I can add them to my current raid array.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Cheers. Steve.