firefox 3.5 memory leak / cpu problem with nspluginwrapper and libflashplayer.so 64 bit

Solution : (aka Executive Summary)
======
Shut down Firefox.
yum remove nspluginwrapper
firefox about:plugins

Root Cause:
=======
nspluginwrapper seems to be unnecessarily wrapping 64 bit Adobe flash
extension, and badly leaking memory and cpu.

Symtoms:
======
I noticed that my Fedora 11 x64 was having enormous trouble recently
with apparent memory leak / cpu in Firefox, and npviewer segfaulting.
But this isn't happening in Ubuntu 9.10.  I haven't checked Fedora 12 yet.

Leave laptop with Firefox open to a website with a flash stream.  Go to
bed.  Wake up, find Firefox unusable, system barely usable, with Firefox
using 3GB of memory and 98% of cpu.

Investigation:
=========
The usual culprit is the open java plugin that comes with the Linux
distributions.  It's getting better than it used to be, but in the past
it's locked up Firefox or even crashed the computer.  So I replaced it
with sun java.  In Fedora, you have to also mess around with the
alternatives system from the command line.

The second usual culprit is the Flash substitute plugin "swfdec".
Adobe's installation methods frankly suck.  I need the 64 bit plugin,
but they usually offer up the 32-bit one.  Anyway, you get the 64-bit
plugin "installed", then end up manually copy the libflashplayer.so file
to the  /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins directory.  I've whined before about
how Firefox doesn't pick the newest plugin (as the documentation says it
should), so move or delete the "swfdec" plugin.

About:plugins reports flash is nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so .  This
file is magically re-generated when firefox starts, and preempts
libflashplayer.so.  Notice that Ubuntu didn't have the nspluginwrapper
plugin.

I guess I should submit this as a bug to Fedora.  I suspect it is not
distribution-specific.

--Randy