Changing color depth in Ubuntu 9.10

Hmm ... well on my fresh 9.10 install I *do* have an xorg.conf, which reads:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Default Device"
    Driver    "fglrx"
EndSection

As you can see, it contains only a few things -- maybe it's just because I
have a proprietary driver?  I really don't know, but if all you want is to
change the depth from 24 -> 16, I would try creating an xorg.conf that
contains *only* the lines

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth    16