I'm thinking of launching a MythTV distro website

On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:11 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> Thanks for the comments (David, Jarod, Jack)--pretty much making the argument
> that I expected, suggesting that I find an existing distro to submit
> development to.
>
> I've got a much grander vision in mind that won't fit on one of the existing
> sites.  After 18 months of puttering around with the various distros, what's
> basically happened is I've rejected them all in a fundamental way.  I've
> gotten more than an earful on the WAF issue (I'm fully expecting one of my
> Myth setups to get thrown out the window onto the street if it segfaults or
> otherwise freezes up one more time).
>
> My premise is this:  the existing distros--MythBuntu, MiniMyth, Mythdora,
> KnoppMyth--are not stable enough on current hardware to set up at your
> grandmother's house.

So I presume your distro won't be Linux-based then? ;)

> I've invented my own and am thinking of sharing it.  It won't fit in any of
> the existing distros because I've taken a very different approach.  The only
> place I could post it, perhaps, is the MythTV main site but that's not
> apparently designed for what I have in mind (it's anything but simple and
> grafting my stuff onto that will only add to the confusing mish-mash that
> David/Jarod/Jack allude to).
>
> Anyway I'll just let my unpublished distro sit until I find some people who
> want to work with it.

How is anyone expected to know they want to work on it if you don't give at least a bit more explanation on exactly what it is you're doing that is so different, revolutionary, and somehow stable enough for grandmother's house?

Call me dubious, after having worked on MythDora in my spare time, Fedora in my spare time and as part of my day job, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux as the primary focus of my day job for several years now... There are ALWAYS combinations of hardware and/or software where things aren't stable, ALWAYS users asking for support for new hardware/software/features, etc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org