mail / mailx question

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 02:22:59PM -0500, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 01:07:14PM -0600, Derek Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:37:22AM -0500, Chandler, Scott wrote:
> > > Thanks for the ideas but I really don't want to change my current
> > > config, it's working fine.
> >
> > It would seem that you need to reevaluate whether it really does work
> > fine...  What DSR says is correct: Berkeley mail (or its clones)
> > doesn't work the way you want.
>
> 'man 1 mailx' on my Fedora 12 box notes this option:
>
>     smtp   Normally, mailx invokes sendmail(8) directly to  transfer
>            messages.  If the smtp variable is set, a SMTP connection
>            to the server specified by the value of this variable  is
>            used  instead.  If the SMTP server does not use the stan-
>            dard port, a value of server:port can be given, with port
>            as a name or as a number.
>
> So it does seem like mailx will support what Scott wants to do.  All the
> information and options are in the man page, which is a nice change for a
> linux machine.

Must be a very new feature. It's certainly not in place in Debian Lenny,
doesn't appear to be in Ubuntu 9.04, and SLES10 doesn't do that either.

So, it will depend on what version of mailx Scott has. As he
didn't see this option in his man page, I would guess that he's
not running Fedora 12.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.