Cheap-ish video card recommendation

Just one comment on Newegg. I have found that the past couple of orders
I had from Newegg arrived the next day although I specified standard
shipping so if you can't get your ass to MIcroCenter, I would recommend
NewEgg. They have several different Nvidia boards. The board I have is a
PNY GEForce 8400 GS, but it is a couple of years old.

On 12/26/2009 09:33 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
>>> For an AGP motherboard and MythTV, you want either an NVideo
>>> 5200 or a PCI 8400. The first can do XvMC, and the second can do
>>> VDPAU. The 5200 will be cheaper; you can get a fanless one from
>>> NewEgg for about $30.
>>>      =20
>> Hmm.  My schedule for tomorrow has changed and I can sneak out to=20
>> Microcenter.  They don't appear to have a PCI 8400 card, though that=20
>> would have been cool (never knew what VDPAU was until a few minutes ag=
o).

>> The one thing I'm fuzzy on, and am finding conflicting information on,=
=20
>> is Linux with different OpenGL versions and DirectX versions.  I take =
it=20
>> that DirectX isn't used by Linux programs, and even if I set it up as =

>> dual boot that DirectX 9 would be fine.
>>    =20
> Correct: Linux doesn't know what DirectX is.
>
>  =20
>> I see cards that support OpenGL 1.4, 2.0, and "ICD".  It looks like IC=
D=20
>> works with Linux (never heard of ICD before either), but would 1.4 wor=
k?=20
>>   I see some references to Linux being behind on OpenGL releases anywa=
y.
>>    =20
> OpenGL is usable with Linux, and the NVidia drivers provide an
> adequate implementation of it. An ICD is a Windows term for "has
> a driver", and isn't relevant to Linux.
>
> -dsr-
>
>  =20

--=20