Cheap-ish video card recommendation

On 12/28/2009 12:39 AM, David Kramer wrote:

> My current confusion is this: Duh, there's no audio in the DVI
> connector, and there's no way to tell my TV "when the current input is
> HDMI4, use the audio input jack from the PC (DB15) port", so there's no
> audio.  But then I did some poking around (four different websites, and
> I can't a cable that has a DVI and headphone plug on one side and HDMI
> on the other, so the HDMI on the TV end will have audio.

That wouldn't work unless the cable was a fancy powered thing with an
ADC -- the audio on the HDMI cable is digital, not analog. Maybe a cable
with an S/PDIF connector at the computer end could be done, which would
help if you had a sound card with a digital output.

The real answer is that serious home theater people don't run the audio
into the TV at all, because almost all TVs have terrible speakers; they
run the audio into their receiver.