how do you back up data on your home computer?

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM, John Abreau <jabr-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a user at work with a MacBook laptop who uses Time Machine.
> I had to help her once to restore her local Entourage mail folders, as
> when she removed the old mail account from our old mail server when
> the server was decommissioned, Entourage decided to delete all her
> local mail folders as well.
>
> The first two attempts failed to retrieve the local folders, but I think I had
> figured out the problem, and we started a third attempt. At that point
> Time Machine wouldn't let us access the backups until it "cleaned up".
>
> In order to free up space for the two failed restores that we deleted,
> it decided to silently delete the backups we were trying to restore from,
> before letting us restore from them. She had had Time Machine backups
> dating back about four months, and after Time Machine did its cleanup,
> her backups only went back 12 hours.
>
> Needless to say, I was not impressed with Time Machine. ?Or Entourage,
> for that matter.

Entourage is a steaming pile. But then, what should one expect? Its
main purpose is as an Exchange client... :)

As for Time Machine, I've never had any problems with it, have always
been able to recover what I wanted, so *shrug*. On the flip side, I
know lots of people who love bacula, while I absolutely hated it.
Getting back to Time Machine though, the most common thing I do is a
full restore install -- such as when I restored the install on my MBP
after swapping in an Intel SSD, and then again when I decided to
reformat it with case-sensitive hfs+ so I can actually sanely work on
linux kernel git trees on it... (see linux-2.6/net/ipv4/netfilter/* to
see what I'm talking about...).