relational database for personal email storage

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> See also: gmail
>
> Seriously. Google Apps for Business, Standard Edition. 100% free (as
> in beer), and you can put your own domain out there. I just moved mine
> over a few days ago, and absolutely loving it[*].

I've had a personal domain hosted with Google Apps for Business for a
couple of years, and its OK, but I'm constantly annoyed that they stuck
with the default extension separator character of "+" (the default in
Sendmail and Postfix, but easily changed). Thanks to some buggy email
validation libraries - which are apparently quite popular - about 40% or
more of web sites will erroneously reject an address containing a "+"
character. (Another 20% or so will embed email addresses in URLs (like
in the unsubscribe link on an advertisement) and forget to URL encode
the string.)

Google has chosen not to do anything about this on their end, and while
you can work around the problem inconveniently by creating aliases like
"user-extension", they limit you to a small number of aliases (30 or 50)
per user account. So eventually I'll have to bring this domain back "in
house."

Also, a Gmail account is fine for receiving mailing list mail and
advertisements, but I wouldn't trust the cloud to store my personal
correspondence, other than as an encrypted blob.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA