Trouble installing Linux on circa-1999 Compaq Presario

Tom Metro wrote:

> Your hardware broke?
>
> When was the last time you tried installing the 2008 version?
>

>> Why these errors do not occur with their 2008 Spring and earlier
>> releases, I do not know.
>
> Maybe the 2008 version was distributed on a CD and the 2009 version
> uses a DVD?
>

>> ...the memory...was fine, no errors reported.
>>
>> It must be something on the motherboard then, that may be failing or
>> has failed.
>
> If you wanted to play around with it some more, the next logical thing
> to try might be using USB storage to do the install, so that you
> bypass the IDE controller. Either use a USB DVD drive, a small thumb
> drive to boot a network installer, or setup an external HD to boot an
> installer.
>
> If the internal HD is using the same controller as the CD/DVD drive,
> this may not help any.
>
>  -Tom

I could plug everything in right now and get a failed install of
Mandriva 2009/2010 and Ubuntu 8.04/9.04 (all CD's).  If I then insert
the Mandriva 2008 Spring image (also on CD), -that- release will install
perfectly.  I last tried all this yesterday.

The 2009 version was the CD image burned to a CD.