disk drive problem

On Jan 16, 2010 11:28 AM, "Laura Conrad" <lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

I bought an external drive (connected via firewire) about a year and a
half ago, and have been running backups to it with rsnapshot.

A couple of weeks ago, the backups stopped working, and when I noticed
this, I tried running fsck until I didn't get errors, and this never
seemed to happen.  When I run rsnapshot, I get lots of errors, and no
backup.  Before the fsck's I wasn't able to even mount the disk.  Now I
can mount it, but any attempt to either write or read to it causes lots
of errors.

I'm currently trying to copy it to another disk, and then reformat it
and copy back.  Does this sound like a plausible strategy, or is it
likely to lead to the same problems?  Or is there a better way to
recover the disk than by reformatting and copying?

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Jesus, I'm Thirsty.  (Danku)

'Who's getting the beer?'
Judas stepped up to the bar.
He'd had a windfall!