another Comcast head-end goes digital

I received a letter from Comcast today informing me of their plans to
switch their expanded basic channels from analog to digital-only on
2/24/10 in Newton. No surprise there. I had already heard from them or
other sources (I don't remember which) quite a while ago that the
transition would happen early in 2010.

So two questions:

1. Should I expect most of these digital-only channels to be encrypted?
This page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan
written in response to the Comcast transition, describes a procedure for
setting up channel mapping for clear-QAM tuners, implying that such a
thing is still useful.

2. Anyone currently using a Comcast "Digital adapter" (bare-bones cable
box) with MythTV? If so, are you using IR or something else to control
it? If IR, what IR hardware are you using, and how reliable has the
control been?

The alternative would be renting one of their higher-end cable boxes
that might provide Firewire control. (I assume the low-end ones don't
provide that.) I currently have a Motorola DCT2244/1661/ACDEG (which I
haven't tried using with MythTV). It doesn't provide Firewire (I asked
for a box that had it when I picked it up, and the people at the Comcast
office were clueless), but has an IR port and a serial port. I see the
serial port can be used for control. Does it work better than IR enough
to justify a $2/month rental for a second tuner?

  -Tom