ROXTerm

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:04:03AM -0500, Tom Metro wrote:
>> One thing I find oddly missing from the xterm universe is tight
>> integration with ssh, unlike on Windows where connection protocol and
>> emulator are tightly coupled. Consequently, it's harder to manage
>> connections to remote machines from the GUI. Rather than a dialog for
>> hosts, keys, etc, all of that is still managed through ~/.ssh/conf. Most
>> xterms do support executing a command when the terminal is started, but
>> it requires some glue scripting to get ssh connections to reconnect
>> after a lost connection, and even then it sometimes gets stuck,
>> requiring that the terminal window (tab) be closed and restarted.
>> Outside the xterm universe, you do the equivalent by selecting
>> "reconnect" from a menu.
>
> That's because there has always been more than one way to do it.
>
> serial, telnet, rsh, secure telnet, ssh... it's useful to have a
> terminal emulator which is not integrated with the underlying
> transport.

And the first three of those were in use before we even had GUIs and Xterms.

The 'right' way to accomplish this would probably be to add some kind
of plugin system
to a Xterm or equivalent program to replace the current 'allocate a
pty pair and start a command'
code.

In the meantime, you might look into Putty.

it claims to have a Unix version, but I've never tried it myself...

Bill Bogstad