persistent ssh connections

Richard Pieri wrote:
> As an aside, if you need to automatically reconnect SSH sessions then
> you should look at autossh.

Yup, and I do use autossh in some cases, like when ssh is ran in the
background for the purpose of setting up tunnels. OpenSSH itself has
been adopting some of the features of autossh.

It wouldn't help for the situation I'm currently having with ROXTerm, as
ssh is being tunneled through a VPN, and it's the VPN that is dropping
out. (Unfortunately, at the moment that VPN is the less than secure
pptp. I can probably automate reconnections, but haven't looked into it.)

Ideally I'd like a setup where the VPN can be disrupted, and restored,
without causing ssh to reconnect. Because ssh uses TCP, I don't think
thats possible. At best you can turn off (leave off) the ssh keep-alive
features and hope no packets get sent during the VPN outage, which lead
to a timeout or other packet error that causes OpenSSH to terminate the
connection.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro