mp3 player

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:37 PM, James Kramer <kramerjm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I recently purchased a mp3 player. ?It plugs directly into the usb
> port on the computer. ?The player does not recognize ?mp3 files that I
> load into the directory. ?It recognizes all the preloaded mp3 files
> but does not even list the mp3 files that I load. ? I tried several
> different mp3 files. ? I was able to list the files in the file
> manager but the mp3 player would not recognize them. ?I even tried to
> load the files using Windows XP, but that did not work. ?I would
> appreciate any suggestions. ?I had a response from the site where I
> purchase the player but have not yet received thier technical support
> help.
>
> Jay

One issue could be MTP vs. MSC mode of transfer. MSC is the regular
USB "Mass Storage Controller" whereas MTP is some Microsoft propriety
protocol that Linux has difficulty sometimes (at least in my
experience). Files loaded in via MTP wasn't visible with MSC onwhen
mounted under Linux. And it was difficult to tell what mode the device
(my wife's old Sansa MP3 player) would decide to use for a particular
sync session. I eventually found the option for "always use MSC mode"
and since then there's been no trouble.

As always, YMMV.
Shankar