File names and backing up to DVD

> I had all sorts of issues, and most of them I
> was able to get around by adding yet more "yes I know what I'm doing"
> switches to mkisofs, but in the end I had too many issues with symlinks.
>
> I think what I'm gonna have to do is create a .tgz and burn it to disk
> with the "yes I know this file is fracking huge" flag.  It will take up
> a lot less space,
No luck with the -R option on symlinks?

The scary thing about a single .tgz image is how vulnerable the entire
contents are to a single error. One bad bit can ruin the readability of
the gzipped image.

My DVD backup trick is to individually compress the files: I use "afio
-Z" to copy entire subtrees to a temporary location, then build an ISO
image from the resulting file tree.

There's also a nonstandard transparent compression available for ISO9660
that compresses individual files.

Nathan