Tips/advice for successful community funded (marketing) projects?

I'd like to ask all Ubuntu LoCo's and other GNU/Linux groups what
experiences they've had with community-run projects, specifically with
marketing projects and especially regarding funding. What are some good
examples of successful projects? What advice and tips can you offer?

I'll be compiling helpful information on the LoCo
Fundraising<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoFundraising> page
of the Ubuntu wiki, part of the FOSS Activism
Guide<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ActivismGuide>
.

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2010/01/successful-community-funded-marketing.html

--