another Comcast head-end goes digital

On Jan 31, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> So are you saying the entire town of Natick doesn't have unencrypted QAM, even for the FCC mandated over-the-air broadcast channels?

At the very least, my cable neighborhood appears not to have Clear QAM for the broadcast channels.  Whether this is a problem at the head-end or a filter somewhere or what is yet to be determined.  The short of it is that my EyeTV 200 (analog) sees all of the basic channels and my EyeTV 500 (Clear QAM) sees nothing.

The likely case is that Comcast in Natick encrypts everything by default and filters what we get through a decoder.  I'm trying to avoid having to use a Comcast-provided decoder widget because I happen to like my EyeTV boxes.

--Rich P.