Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:27:36PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> On 2/1/2010 9:05 AM, theBlueSage wrote:
> > I did the upgrade, and it was seamless, and I ran into no problems
> > during the process. By not doing a full fresh install you wont get some
> > of the things available, like the new grub2, but other than that I found
> > no issues. In fact, the upgrade solved a lot of problems that I was
> > having with Pulseaudio in 9.04 ...
> > You point out htat you can do the grub2 upgrade outside of the main
> > system upgrade, so you should have no problem with this release ...
> >

> I just installed a new Debian "Lenny" system, and it specifically warned
> /against/ using the new version of Grub, saying that it's not stable yet
> and things will be likely to break. What's the advantage of Grub 2?

Lenny is the stable branch of Debian. If you switch to unstable,
you'll discover a newer version of Grub2.

If Grub works for you, there's no reason to switch. Grub2 is a
complete rewrite, and aims for broader support and more runtime
flexibility. Basically, they'd like to put in a guaranteed
fallback system that you can always boot to, and boot any
reasonably well-installed OS from. No more rescue disks, or
alternatively, a Grub2 rescue disk should be able to do almost
anything.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.