Password fatigue solutions (was Single-signon)

Xmarks is a definate must, though I don't use it for passwords.  All my passwords, other than financial and email, are drawn from the web address and a standard patern.  It really makes it easy if you come up with a memorable pattern and then just pull a few chars from the address itself.  Plus its always unique to every site so the hashes are useless beyond that site.

As for ssh, I use putty at work, and yes setting up keys is the way to go.  I use a password protected key, so the password only has to be entered once per boot. A fully encrypted drive would be even better, since its a laptop, but I don't make those decissions.

------Original Message------
From: Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: BLU
Subject: Password fatigue solutions (was Single-signon)
Sent: Feb 10, 2010 8:46 AM

Just a quick note: Until I started using ~/.ssh/config and SSH keys,
logging into the various machines I use daily was a pain.  Now, I can
just type "ssh home" to login to my box at home with X forwarding and
port forwarding so that I can graphically manage a remote database
server.

Also, I've found KeyPassX to be a great cross-platform secure password
manager.  I used to use MyPasswordSafe, and I've written a conversion
script if anyone's interested.

Finally, for 'remembering your passwords in the browser' I love XMarks

More
http://freephile.org/wiki/index.php/Using_keys
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1816 for port forwarding and the
config file