Laptops and hardware virtualization

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Franklin H. Chasen <chasen-KVEKqrk+LIpWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 23:06 -0500, Shankar Viswanathan wrote:
>
>> Every recent (i.e. mid-2006 or later) AMD processor supports AMD-V
>> extensions as well.
>>

> Does that include my netbook's AMD L110 called an Athlon by Gateway but
> perhaps actually a Sempron?

The decoder ring that I was given to map external product names to
internal ones doesn't show the L110, so I cannot be 100% sure whether
it supports AMD-V or not. But as a general rule of thumb, barring the
Geode line of chips, all other AMD processors from mid-2006 onwards
support it (even Semprons). As Jerry mentioned in his other post, grep
for 'svm' in /proc/cpuinfo and that will tell you for sure. Otherwise,
email me the family/model/stepping identifiers of your chip and I can
look it up for you (can be got from the 'System Information' or some
such icon from the Windows control panel).

-Shankar